Abbey’s 24 hour accident and claims helpline
For help, advice or to make a vehicle, windscreen or home insurance claim, simply call our 24 hour insurance claims helpline on
It’s never nice being in an accident and it might not happen, but it’s always a good idea to know what to do and how to report a claim should you have an accident. So, whether you’re at fault or not, you should do the following:
Car Accident Guidelines
- Contact the emergency services if anyone is injured
- Record details of the other car: make, model and registration number
- Take photographs of all vehicles in their positions and any debris on the road. Only do this if it’s safe to do so
- Don’t admit liability
- Get names and contact details of any witnesses before they leave the scene
- Obtain Full Name, address and contact number for the driver
- Don’t leave the scene until the particulars are exchanged
- Call Abbey on 08000 28 28 70 to report your claim as soon as possible
Home Incident Guidelines
- Take all reasonable steps to reduce any further damage or loss and to secure your property
- If the incident involves theft or criminal damage, or if any property has been lost outside of the home, inform the police immediately and take a note of the police incident number.
- Take photographs and notes of any damage caused
- Speak to an Abbey claims handler before making arrangements for replacement or repair. We will ask you what happened and what action you’ve taken so far. Then we’ll ask you what it is you’re claiming for and the approximate cost(s). If necessary, we will ask for a loss adjuster to visit you.
- It is helpful if you keep receipts, guarantees, instruction manuals, valuations or photographs of you most valuable items in a safe place as these may help to support a claim.