National Home Security Month
Many of us don’t think twice before leaving our house unattended. The responsibilities of work, school, and family mean we can’t always be in our homes to keep them safe and home security is often overlooked. But while you are out and might think you have left your home burglar-proof, today’s sophisticated criminals are savvier than ever when it comes to breaking in.
This month (October 2017) is National Home Security Month, which is all about raising awareness around the importance of home security. We’ve teamed up with the PSNI to pinpoint some ways you could significantly reduce the chances of a burglary in your home. If you find yourself guilty of doing any of the below, think about how you could change your habits to keep your home safe.
And remember – to prevent a burglary, you need to think like a burglar!
10 Tips to Improve Your Home Security
1. Close and lock all doors and windows even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
2. Leave a light on if it will be dark before you get home. Also, consider security lights. To a burglar, a dark house is an empty house.
3. Keep your valuables out of sight, and when possible, under lock and key.
4. Remember to bring your bins in, cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away from home.
5. Don’t leave car keys near your door, letterbox or windows.
6. Always check who is at the door. Not sure? Don’t open the door.
7. Set your alarm when going out and at night time. If you do not have an intruder alarm consider installing one.
8. Ask a neighbour or a friend to check your property and to remove post from the porch/hallway.
9. Inform police if your house is to be vacant for any length of time.
10.Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked and secure ladders.
Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic rather than planned so if your home does not look secure it could be at risk. For more practical home security tips, visit: http://www.psni.police.uk or call 101 and ask for your local Crime Prevention Officer.
Abbey Insurance Brokers
In the instance that the unthinkable happens, and your home is burgled, remember that Home and Contents Insurance from Abbey Insurance Brokers can help repair the damage done. We also offer a number of Home Insurance add-ons, such as Home Emergency Cover, which can add an additional level of security to match your individual needs. Abbey have a 24 hour accident and claim helpline, should you need to report an incident, call 08000 28 28 70. If you would like to discuss further, please contact one of our dedicated advisors on 08000 66 55 44.